If recent events have taught us anything, it’s to savor what we love most—spending time with friends and family. And in this “new normal,” residents are exploring all their property has to offer outdoors and in—whether it’s the pool, rooftop, community center or courtyard—to celebrate and gather with loved ones in a safe manner. For those looking to host a gathering, there are a few new considerations to keep in mind to help make the most of your event.
“Because of the pandemic, people have differing comfort levels for being around others,” says Rebecca Peterson, Group Product Manager, Access Controls at LiftMaster. “For a successful event or get-together, there’s plenty a host can do to help keep all guests comfortable and secure in a space,”
Below, Rebecca offers her top tips for how to navigate the new normal of hosting events while keeping safety and security top priority.
Before the event
- Get creative with your entertaining space. Great parties are not limited to perfect 70-degree-and-sunny days. With some creative thinking and preparation, you can safely host a gathering all year round. Cozy up the outdoors with thick, warm blankets and hot beverages. Have umbrellas stashed for a springtime celebration or add extra seating to an autumn get-together with hay bales and wagons.
“As long as guests know what to expect and how to dress, everyone will be comfortable. And definitely communicate with guests in advance on safety protocols and the process for entry into the building,” says Rebecca.
Ideally, your building complex is equipped with smart access control systems, like a LiftMaster Smart Video Intercom powered by myQ technology, so you can grant access to your guests remotely through the myQ Community app right from your phone. Through the app’s one-way video calling and two-way voice communication, you can view and verify your friends, family and guests before granting them entry to your building or community from your smartphone.
“Whenever possible, discuss with the community manager or property manager about your plan and what your vision is for the event. You can save time and effort if they can provide Smart Access options that allow you to register guests before your event, or securely let them in remotely as they arrive to your place. It can be a game changer,” says Rebecca.
In-demand features on LiftMaster Access Control systems, such as the CAPXLV or the CAPXM, include high resolution video with app control so you can see who’s at the door or gate before letting them in, and the ability to remotely open up that entry point from anywhere.
- Make party prep easier. When you’re planning a party, extra hands make the load lighter. If you are having groceries delivered, go a step further and link your account to Amazon Key in the myQ app to get your groceries directly into your garage while you are out running errands or busy prepping the house. Convenient, secure, In-Garage Delivery means one less trip to the store, and one less thing to worry about.
- Grant access to the “crew”: Whether you are having your space professionally cleaned or landscaped, you may need to grant access to additional service professionals before the big get-together. The myQ Community app has a “press to unlock” feature so you can let in your vendors from any authorized entrance right from your smartphone.
On the day of the event:
- Community Entrances/Exits: We’ve all been at a party when it’s too loud to hear the doorbell or buzzer—that sometimes happens at good parties! But if you’re hosting, you don’t want to be straining to hear the buzz from the intercom, or worse, banging on the door and possibly disturbing neighbors. With a system like the LiftMaster Smart Video Intercom, residents can get a video call through their app and have visual guest confirmation so no more running back and forth to the door or intercom. With the myQ Community app, you always know who has arrived without stopping your hosting duties to check the door.
- Food Deliveries. Ordering food to be delivered during the party? Use the LiftMaster Smart Video Intercom so you can be alerted to the delivery arriving and can grant access right from your phone, so your food will remain hot and fresh.
The best parties are the ones where everyone feels comfortable, relaxed, and free to have a good time. A big part of creating that atmosphere is keeping your guests’ comfort, safety, and expectations in mind. With some thoughtful consideration, flexibility, and creative thinking, you can feel confident in hosting fun, safe parties in this new normal and beyond.